Jul 21, 2011

Don't Be So Hard On Yourself


Sometimes we get down on ourselves about what we think are our shortcomings. I know I do. It's hard to, when you live in such a competitive world like we do. I sometimes think to myself: I should be selling more/ making more/ getting into galleries/ doing a show.

If you work in a traditional job (meaning; you work for someone else), you probably feel those pressures that come with the job- your boss's expectations, whether you are doing well or coming up short, how you get along with your peers. It's overwhelming at times. In our off-time, we face much of the same. Raising kids, family, relationships, etc. There are so many ways to fall into the trap of thinking, "I should be doing it this way".

Every once in a while I like to remind myself that I'm doing a great job. I still sometimes set expectations for myself that are out of reach. That can be a problem, because I'm pretty hard on myself. I do my best, but if I fall short, I try to not beat myself up about it. I try to not sweat the small stuff - I said I try. I'm still working on it!!

1 comment:

  1. I have been in tears, a LOT, this past month over these very sorts of things. I wish I really did know whether I was doing a good job or not. I just never know if I am anymore -- there are too many people doing what I do and they're all better than I am, it seems.

    But I do know I have a great kid, and I do my very best there, and that's going to be the basket I put my eggs in, I think.

    ReplyDelete